Lymm High School can trace its origins back to the latter years of the reign of Elizabeth I, and it received its main endowments in the second half of the seventeenth century. In 1885 new premises were built for the school in Grammar School Road; in 1902 it became a co-educational grammar school. Oughtrington Hall was acquired by the school in 1945 and in 1957 Lymm Grammar School moved in its entirety to the Oughtrington Lane site vacating its former premises for Lymm County Secondary School.
Both schools continued to operate on their respective sites until 1978 when both were re-organised as mixed 11-18 comprehensive schools and were re-named Lymm Oughtrington High School (Voluntary Controlled) and Lymm County High School respectively. They were then merged in 1985 to form a single school – Lymm High School – based at the current location in Oughtrington Lane.
Lymm High School is a voluntary controlled school. It derives this status from a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 30 April, 1901, and amended in 1909, 1949 and 1977. While it is the local education authority (Warrington Borough Council) which provides all the costs involved in the running and management of the school, the buildings remain the property of the Lymm Grammar School Trust, which is a registered Charity and which has representatives on the Governing Body as Foundation Governors.
The main other asset of the Trust is Ty’n-y-Felin, a farmhouse on a thirty acre site at Rhoscolyn on Anglesey, which was purchased by the Trust in 1958 for use as a residential centre by the school. The Trust also administers the various endowments for prizes to reward the endeavours of pupils, and other monies specifically intended to promote the education of children attending Lymm High School in such ways as the Trustees think fit.
The Trustees consist of nine members:
Three Ex-officio Trustees: the owner of Arley Hall; The Rector of St Mary the Virgin, Lymm and the Rector of St Peter’s, Oughtrington.
Six Nominative Trustees: Two by the Warrington Borough Council ; Two by the Lymm Parish Council ; One by the Council of the Victoria University of Manchester and one by the Old Scholars’ Association of Lymm Grammar School.